If you are looking for homework help outside of Tutorial Hours, these are some community options that you can visit.
|Free Services||Paid Services|
|PALS (Project Adult Literacy Society)||U of A Tutor Registry (hire a tutor)|
|The Center for Family Literacy|
(requires a library card)
It is a collection of online feature films from studios including 20th Century Fox, Paramount, Miramax, Dreamworks, Warner Bros. and Lionsgate. Click here for more information. Please follow the steps under the title How to Link to Criterion-on-Demand Videos.
Here are some online resources that are both educational and fun for children:
If you want to share any children friendly educational resources for other parents that are students at NorQuest, please send us a chat here!
1. Do homework during their nap/sleep times.
a. They will be asleep, and you can work quietly.
2. Have children do quiet play while you are doing homework.
a. Examples are playing with Playdoh, colouring, tv show, reading by themselves.
3. Have children do homework with you. Modeling good school behaviour shows them that you are learning to.
a. If children are older, have them do homework with you. Talk to them about school and being busy. You spend time with them and show them why it is important to learn.
4. Play the 'quiet game' by setting a timer to be quiet for 15 minutes.
a. If your children can stay quiet or not interrupt your homework time, they get to pick an activity they want to do for 10 minutes. A treat can be reading together, going outside, watching a show. Then start the game again.
5. Make sure children have their snacks, water, and toys they want near them while you are doing homework.
a. That will make them get their own things without asking you for them.
How to Share Technology Devices at Home with Children
1. When do I need the computer? This includes class time and homework time.
2. When does my spouse or partner need the computer? Find out what time they need the computer that day.
3. What time do my children need the computer? If you have children who are learning online, ask them what time their classes are and if have any homework they need to do for school on the computer. Find out what time they need the computer that day.
4. What time do my children need the computer to watch shows or play games? If you have young children and they want to play computer games, ask them what games they want to play and you can decide how long they play. For example,15 minutes or a half an hour of device time.
Once you have written down all the times, write down a schedule for your family to follow.
It can be difficult sharing a device.
If you are going to miss a class because another family member needs the computer, talk to your teacher and they can work with you.
An example schedule looks like this:
|You (Parent)||Parent||Older Child||Young Child|
Have class from
Also, you have 3 hours of homework
|Has work from 8- 10 pm||
Has online classes from 9-11 am
Also, has 1 hour of
homework to do
|Wants to play website game.|
|Time||Who is using it?||Activity|
|8-9 am||You (Parent)||Homework|
|9- 11 am||Older Child||Online Class|
|11-12 pm||You (Parent)||Homework|
|1-2:30 pm||You(Parent)||Online Class|
|2:30- 3pm||Young Child||Play online games|
|3- 4:30 pm||You (Parent)||Online Class|
|4:30 - 5:30 pm||Older Child||Homework|
|7 -8 pm||You (parent)||Homework|
|8 -10 pm||Other Parent||Work|
How to Share Technology Devices at Home with a Partner/Husband/Wife
1. Write down when you need the computer for class and when they need the computer for class or work.
a. Ask yourself: Do both of you need a computer at the same time?
i. If you and your partner need the computer at the same time, talk to your teacher about it. Your teacher can talk to you about work on Moodle that needs to be completed at a time that works for you.
ii. You can watch class recordings and ask your teacher any questions for things you do not understand.
b. If you only have one computer device, and your partner does not need the computer it during your class time – create a computer time schedule.
i. Always talk to your partner every day to make sure the times work for them.
Bob has work from 9-12 on the computer
|Jane has class from 1-4 pm on the computer.|
Bob can use the computer after Jane from 4- 6 pm for work purposes
|Jane can use the computer after Bob from 7-9 pm for homework|